Apple Pie
Recipe from Food Charlatan. I liked the fact you could pre-cook the filling.
Made regular crust recipe in the food processor.
Used 5 pounds of apples which when peeled and cored yields 3.5 pounds. Was exact with measurement.
Apple filling was pretty soft but some still had a bit of crunch.
Filling was in the oven longer than the half hour called for bc I had to go out.
Crust was easy to roll out. Made lattice. Brushed with milk and egg. Made aluminum foil ring to protect crust.
Baked at 425 for 15 minutes then cover crust lower to 350 and bake additional for 45 minutes as per the recipe. The recipe says the pie is done when the crust is golden. However I checked other sources online and it says the filling has to bubble and be 195 internal temperature. I wondered about raising oven temp to 375 but AI said not to do so but to tent it instead and leave it in the oven for however long it took for internal temp to be 195 and juices bubbling. So far still in oven have baked additional 50 minutes!
According to AI it's taking this long because the fillng was in the fridge a long time and the pie once put together was also in the fridge a long time. The recipe says to put the filling in the fridge for 30 minutes but I had to go out so it was in there for about an hour. Same with the pie, supposed to be in the fridge for 30 minutes but it was in there for 40-45. According to AI this makes the filling into a cold block that prevents heat from reaching the center of the pie, especially bc 350 is a low baking temperature.
We'll see what happens!
Comments
Post a Comment