Strawberry Crisp for a summer dinner with my Sis

Strawberry Blueberry Crisp.

Here's a recipe I made this past August while my Sister was visiting. I had so lots of strawberries I needed to use up, so I made a Strawberry/Berry Crisp from a recipe I found online. Here it is:

INGREDIENTS:

Topping:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

Filling:
2 lbs fresh strawberries
3 tablespoons cornstarch, plus 1-2 additional teaspoons if berries are very juicy
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Make topping: Stir flour, both sugars, salt, cinnamon and cardamom together in medium bowl. Pour butter on top. Stir until crumble is evenly moistened. Squeeze together with fingers to form clumps. Let wait in the refrigerator.
3. Wash, quarter, and stem strawberries. Place in large mixing bowl. Add cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir to combine. Transfer to dish, include juices.
4. Disperse chunks of crumble topping over the top. Make sure to leave some nice, chunky pieces of topping. 
5. Place baking dish on baking sheet and bake until the filling is hot and bubbly and topping is golden, 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let the filling set up while it cools.

Notes:
1. I made this in a 10-inch pie dish and it still took longer to bake then the recipe says.  If using a regular 9-inch pie dish I would leave some of the mixture and topping out and bake it separately.  I would not make this in a metal cake pan because you can't turn it out and you'd scratch the bottom of the pan scooping it out. So I'd look for a Pyrex or ceramic dish.
2. I didn't have 2 lbs of strawberries so I compensated with some blueberries I had and it turned out fine.
3. Regarding the baking time, mine took way longer than 45 minutes. It took me almost 1.5 hours to see that fruit bubbling!  But when baking fruit pies you want to see that fruit bubbling on or near the center and that's how you know it's done. 

I was disappointed that my beautiful mint green 10-inch baking dish cracked in the oven. I can't figure out why, as the baking temperature was low at 350F. Yes it was in the oven for almost 90 minutes, but this was a baking dish for heaven's sake!  We ate the crisp anyway, but I had to throw out the baking dish afterwards.

Let me not forget to say, we enjoyed it with vanilla ice cream, the only way!

Berry crisp with vanilla ice cream.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earl Gray Cardamom Cake TO TRY

Nordic Ware Spice Cakes

Eiffel Tower Cake for my birthday 2023