Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

A very pretty caketop.

This past Spring we finally had a tree company come prune our apple tree.  It's very tall and sprawling and the low branches were making it impossible to mow underneath.  We love this tree that sits just outside our sunroom and provides really nice shade on hot afternoons.  It usually yields a handful of apples that the squirrels take.  But after the nice haircut it got, our apple tree went crazy this year!  There were so many apples, enough for the squirrels to pilfer a few and for us to pick a lot. It's a shame we couldn't get to the high branches but even in spite of that we had quite a bounty.  And as if that weren't enough, we came home with a bag of apples from the trees that grow near the entrance to our condo in Vermont.  We don't usually take any of those, but this is the last year we have the condo, and it brought back memories of picking apples there with my mom when Bubby was a toddler.  So those were some special apples.  Even though they all got mixed up in the refrigerator!

Our beloved apple tree.

After a few batches of applesauce to have with oatmeal, I decided to try a new apple dessert. But, it had to be simple. I found this recipe for Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake on Sally's Bake Blog.  I followed the recipe to the letter, using a 9.5" pie plate for the cake.  It baked as it was supposed to and turned perfectly out of the plate, except one spot where I was able to paste back the apple.  It's a pretty cake, as all upside down cakes are, and tasted fine.  However, I didn't get a strong apple taste. If making again, I would either put more apples on the top even if it compromises the design, or I'd put thin apple slices in the batter. Alternatively you could spoon applesauce on top of it.

A closeup of the cake.


A slice of cake.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earl Gray Cardamom Cake TO TRY

Flan Parisien for my birthday

Eiffel Tower Cake for my birthday 2023