Blueberry Scones

 

Blueberry Scones

A friend was coming over for coffee early in the morning and I know she loves baked goods. It was a crisp morning in late Summer/early Fall and we had to light a fire in the woodstove to make it comfortable to sit and chat in our sunroom. Perfect timing for Blueberry Scones!

I'd made blueberry scones before using this recipe from Sally's Bake Blog. But wanting to try something new, I went with a recipe from Preppy Kitchen. Here it is.  

I followed the recipe to the letter and it was very easy.  When I dumped the dough onto the counter, I just made sure there was quite a bit of flour. Using a bench scraper and well-floured hands, I continued pushing flour under the dough until it came together from the top but wasn't sticking to the counter. It was quite easy to pat it into a circle and then to push it out to be 8 inches. I didn't manage to cut the scones evenly, but that was ok.  I scraped off the dough that stuck to the bench scraper and once the scones were on the tray I glued it to the side of the smallest piece. 

The dough ready to be cut into triangles

The scones baked up in about 20 minutes.  The really puffed up in the oven!  I might cut them into squares next time, and try to get 10 smaller squares instead of 8 big triangles.

Scones coming out of the oven


I made the scones the night before coffee with my friend, but I didn't have any in the morning. When I did try one in the afternoon, I found it to be too soft and cakey, vs crumbly the way a scone should be. Maybe they were underbaked, but I think the difference might be the extra 1/4 cup of heavy cream in this recipe as compared to Sally's recipe.  Also it didn't have much of a lemon taste, in spite of the lemon zest in the recipe.  So I think next time, I might go back to Sally's recipe, and do the lemon glaze on top from that recipe too. In the meantime with this, they should probably be crisped up in the oven before eating, if made the day before.

It was still fun to try something new and everyone enjoyed them.

A beautiful blueberry scone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023