Skolebrod Custard Buns

Norwegian Skolebrod custard buns

Earlier in the week I'd made a French Fruit Tart and I had a good amount of pastry cream leftover. I didn't want it to go to waste, and it's not something you can really freeze. Although I've never tried to freeze pastry cream, I've read that it separates when it thaws, and trying to reconstitute it sounds like a pain.  So, I decided to make Skolebrod Custard Buns.  The word Skolebrod is Norwegian for "school bread" and I've read this is a traditional treat schoolchildren would enjoy when they got home from school, or maybe they were sent to school in their lunchboxes.  Apparently in Norway you find them in every bakery. I've made them before, and they're delicious.

Here is the recipe I used. It was already in my recipe binder.  This time, I decided to halve it because it looked like I only had 7 spoonfuls of pastry cream.  However, I wish I'd made the entire recipe and  made smaller rolls.  Each bun ended up having so much pastry cream that it didn't look nice, plus it was a lot of bread to eat in one sitting.  

To fill the buns with custard, you're supposed to make an indentation and pipe the pastry cream into it. I first made the indentation with a cookie scoop then widened and deepened it with my fingers. I just spooned the custard in, because I didn't want to use up a pastry bag for this purpose. All that plastic just goes to a landfill afterwards.

On the top of the bun you surround the custard with flaked coconut.  I knew I had flaked coconut in the refrigerator but I was shocked to find out the "best by" date was in 2022. Two full years ago! It didn't have any mold on it, so I used it anyway.  Being old, though, it ended up lacking in coconut taste. 

It's hard to get a nice photograph of the baked Skolebrod because the custard does curdle in the oven. But hopefully the picture still shows how tasty they are!  I spread mine with raspberry jelly when I ate them, because I wanted it extra sweet.

Skolebrod is a great use of leftover pastry cream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023