More Apples than Cake cake

 

Delicious, whatever it's called!

It's that time of year when Fall starts to let you know it's on its way. It's warm and feels like summer but school is starting and here and there you see colorful leaves appearing.  I both start to wonder where much of the year has gone, and looking forward to crisp Autumn weather and Fall activities.  But mostly, there is an urgency to make the most of the fleeting Summer days.

With all this in mind we decided kick off our weekend with a short (1.5 mile) hike in a lovely woods preserve not far from the house. We saw all kinds of huge mushrooms on this walk, some as big as pancakes! After the hike we noticed the weekly farmer's market was happening in town that afternoon so we had to stop in to check it out. And what do we find but a farmstand offering an amazing variety of fresh, local mushrooms.  We couldn't resist and knew we'd be having them immediately for dinner. 

I wanted to cap off the day's adventure with a nice dessert. We got back right at dinner time, so I didn't have a lot of time. And just that morning I'd inspected a batch of apples that had been in the fruit drawer a tad long and had gone a bit soft.  Immediately I knew what to make: Mostly Apples Cake from King Arthur Flour!  It's an easy and delicious recipe, the kind you can't mess up.  The ingredients are all pantry basics I always have at hand, including almond flour which I'm never without. You can make this recipe in an 8- or a 9-inch pan and I chose a 9-inch pan so it would bake a little faster.  The most time-consuming part is peeling and cutting the apples, but the cake was in and out of the oven in less than an hour. The hardest part was waiting for it to cool.  

This cake is delicious, soft and almost custardy on the inside and just like the season we're in, it's not exactly Fall but it's reminiscent of Fall.  

A word about the name. I've made this cake before and in my mind it was called "More Apples than Cake" cake. But when I looked for the recipe in my binder I saw that it's actually called "Mostly Apples Cake". Hmm, I like my name better.  Didn't Shakespeare say "An Apple by any other name, is just as crisp"?  Or maybe it was something about a Rose...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023