French Fruit Tart

It's been kind of a funny summer. Between the long heat wave in June, the construction on our patio, and friends traveling, we've had very little opportunities to entertain. So when we finally had a friend coming over, I wanted to make something special. Not sure why but French Fruit Tart with pastry cream popped into my head, and I just had to make it. I think because I've enjoyed the Triple Berry Pies I've made recently and wanted something similar. And I know this friend really enjoys dessert.

French Fruit Tart is so beautiful and impressive looking but couldn't be easier to make. It's perfect to make ahead, as well, in fact you need to make the dough and pastry cream the day before.

I like this recipe from Martha Stewart for my pate sucree and it's the one I always use. I halved it for just one tart. 

I rely on this recipe, also from Martha Stewart, for my pastry cream. It never gets solid bits of egg and it's so easy it deserves the name she gave it. It's called No Fuss Pastry Cream and it really is.

For this tart I used fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. I tried my best to arrange them in a pleasing pattern and I was happy with the result. I don't usually bother spreading it with thinned apricot preserve but this time I did, because after tasting the blueberries I felt they'd need a boost of taste. The apricot glaze really does add that shiny "pastry shop" look!

When we tried the tart I wished I'd used more strawberries, but that's just because this particular batch of blueberries weren't the tastiest. But the everyone loved the tart, went for a second slice and we finished it right then and there.

Easy AND a hit!

French fruit tart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023