A recipe for Honey Corn Muffins

 Last night we enjoyed fresh corn on the cob with dinner, and there was one cob left over. Seeing it in the refrigerator gave me the idea to make Honey Corn Muffins. I've yet to find a recipe I like, so I decided to try something new from the internet. I came upon this recipe on a website I'd never seen before (Jessica Gavin). I liked that it incorporated fresh corn, so I decided to try it.

Immediately upon getting the ingredients I realized I didn't have enough honey. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup but I only had 1/4 cup.  But as Julia Child says, "make the recipe anyway"!  Instead of the missing 1/4 cup of honey I added 1/4 cup of light brown sugar.

The ingredients come together very quickly, no mixer required. The batter is very liquidy!  

The recipe says to bake the muffins at 400F for 15 minutes. But a review from a reader who made the muffins noted that they didn't rise. It does have 1 tablespoon of baking powder, quite a bit. There's no way to know what happened to this other person, their baking powder could be stale, they could have opened the oven door, etc. But just in case, I decided to bake the muffins at 425F for 5 minutes, to encourage the muffin tops to pop up high, then lower it to 400F. So, I was a bit surprised when I checked the muffins after 12 minutes and the centers were very liquidy still. I lowered the temperature to 375 minutes and gave it another 5 minutes. So, they baked for a total of 18 minutes. At that point they were definitely done, a toothpick came out clean and some of the edges were getting brown. 

The recipe is supposed to make 12 muffins. But some of them spilled out a little bit as they baked. It would be better to make 13 muffins with this amount of batter.

As soon as they cooled I had one with a cup of tea. It was very good! The recipe is a keeper because unlike many cornbread recipes these muffins are very moist and yet not oily.  I'll be interested to find out in the future if there's a difference in moisture when you make it without fresh corn. It's an optional ingredient here.  

In contrast with another corn muffins recipe I'd made, from Sallys Bake Blog, this recipe has much less fat (1/4 up butter whereas Sally's has 1/2 cup butter plus 2 tablespoons of oil), but this recipe has much more sugar (1 cup total between the sugar and the honey, whereas Sally's has 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons honey).  Obviously it's the sugar here lending moisture and with so much less fat it doesn't have that oily taste. Another difference is the amount of baking powder (1 tablespoon here, where Sally's recipe only has 1 teaspoon), and the amount of salt (here 1 teaspoon kosher salt, Sally 1/8 teaspoon).  I recall not really liking Sally's muffins, because they were too buttery and cakey and lacked taste.  Here you could smell the corn and taste the corn. This one's much better!

The entire family enjoyed these muffins. The recipe is a keeper!

Honey Corn Muffins


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023