Raspberry Cake Filling

Working on a cake that needed a last-minute raspberry filling, I came across Sugar Geek Show's recipe. I decided to try it because it was late at night and it wasn't a reduction. The whole thing comes together pretty quickly.

In this recipe you dissolve a bag of frozen raspberries in sugar and after it boils once you sieve it to get rid of the seeds, then continue with the recipe. The next step is to add a slurry made with cornstarch and water, instead of adding cornstarch directly into the mixture which usually results in lumps. I made the slurry before getting started and noticed it was drying out a bit, but would come back together with a whisk. Maybe that was the problem, maybe I should have added a bit more water, because I there were several cornstarch blobs in the mixture that never did dissolve and that I had to remove. I did this by removing the blobs I could see then sieving the mixture again.

Perhaps because of this, the filling never really set up as a filling overnight. I was able to use it in the cake, but it was rather runny. I had plenty left over, and noticed that after a couple of days in the fridge it had gelled even more. Not sure if that's because of the cold or if it really did set up though.  

If one has enough time to make a reduction, that would be preferable to this filling. The problem, more than the consistency, is the flavor. There just isn't that "pow!" to the flavor, especially when "competing" with chocolate. I used this filling in between cake layers and the buttercream for this cake and honestly the raspberry flavor is weak.

It's not the first time I'm disappointed in a recipe from Sugar Geek Show.  Her website is interesting, but won't become one of  my main reference points. Much like Everyday Pie - interesting to read, but doesn't usually translate into success. For me, at least.

Vibrant color of Raspberry Filling.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023