Strawberry Cupcakes for a birthday at school

Bubby usually takes the day off from school on his birthday. But since he's graduating this year, we decided he should go. We celebrated with lunch and cake back at home on Sunday, and on Monday he wanted to bring in cupcakes to share with his favorite teachers and classmates.

I decided to make strawberry cupcakes. A few years ago I'd made a couple of strawberry cakes, one from Preppy Kitchen and one from Sally's Bake Blog. The Preppy Kitchen cake was better, so I looked for a strawberry cupcake recipe on that website. I found this recipe. It is different from his strawberry cake recipe, which uses strawberry preserves, whereas the cupcake recipe uses fresh strawberries. Since they'd all be eaten right away, no worries about mushy fruit over a couple of days, so I went with it. 

Amazingly I had the precise amount of frosting needed from the birthday cake (Hamburger Cake from previous pose) to pipe a 1M swirl on each of the 12 cupcakes. I piped the frosting with the cupcakes right in the carrier, so as not to disturb the buttercream by moving it around.  Not even a smidge of buttercream was left over after frosting the cupcakes, but I comfortably piped 12 swirls!  That buttercream was not 100% chocolate but had a couple tablespoons of cocoa in it, so I'm sure there was a bit of a mocha taste which would pair well with the strawberry.

For a decoration I melted some chocolate chips in an alphabet mold to make 12 "K"s for Bubby's initial. This took a while, since I only have one mold. After filling the mold it has to set up in the freezer for 5-7 minutes and then it will pop out but multiplied by 12 it still took a couple of hours. I made these decorations the night before, but I placed them on the cupcakes in the morning before the van picked him up. That way they would look pristine.

The carrier needed to be secured as well, because last time Bubby took it to school someone broke the latch on one side of the lid.  The lid also has the handle, so in order for it to stay on I secured the broken side with duct tape then wrapped some twine around the whole thing. 

I didn't get to try the cupcakes so I can't say if they were dry, which is a concern given the oven problems I've been having. Someone did write back to thank me and said they were delicious, so I hope they weren't just being polite!

It's a bit bittersweet to know this is the last time I'll ever send cupcakes in to school with Bubby. It seems like just yesterday I dropped off cupcakes for his 6th birthday. But that's how fast it goes.

Strawberry cupcakes with Mocha buttercream 
and chocolate decoration



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023