Mini Financiers


Mini muffin Financiers

Another Thursday means another watercolor meetup and another baked snack to bring for our coffee and tea.  Today's meetup was in a lovely home only 7 minutes from us, and I got there in the pouring rain and ready for coffee.

I wanted to bring something small and casual and I had all the ingredients for Financiers handy, including a leftover egg white that needed to be used.  I do have a special financier pan, but haven't yet found a recipe I like for full-sized ones, and that pan only yields 6.  Instead, I used a mini muffin pan and this recipe from John Kanell's Preppy Kitchen.  

This recipe doesn't fully explain how to brown butter, but it's important to keep stirring the butter and to remove it from the flame and immediately transfer it into a different bowl the minute the milk solids start to brown, because it can burn very quickly. Although today, the butter could have stood an extra minute on the stove, and didn't brown quite as much as I wanted.  Last time I made these I pressed a raspberry down into each muffin. But I'd made a note that it wasn't worth it and to use slivered almonds instead. I did this today and it really is the best topping.

I halved the recipe to get 12 minis and followed his advice to use a piping bag to fill the molds.  Makes it so much easier!  Last time the financiers baked in 15 minutes like the recipe says, but today I checked at 13 minutes and it was time to remove them from the oven. They were not dry though, they were just right.  I brought enough back from the meetup that I've already had 3 tonight. Deliciously dangerous!

Financiers ready to go


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023