French Apple Cake

 

French Apple Cake

We've had a bag of Gala apples in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks that we didn't like for snacking because they weren't very tasty. But they were perfect for making an apple cake! I chose to try a French apple cake because I also wanted to use up a bit of rum left over from another bake a while ago.

There are many similar recipes online. I chose this one from a blog called Once Upon a Chef. I used 4 apples to get almost 4 cups of dices. I ended up being a bit short on rum and had to complete the last tablespoonful with a bit of bourbon.  The cake ended up having a strong bourbon taste, perhaps it would be better with all rum which is, after all, what the recipe calls for. 

It baked for 40 minutes.  It's supposed to be light and fluffy, but I thought the consistency was a bit more pudding-like.  

I'd add 1/4 tsp of almond extract if making again. Or not!  It was pretty good as is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023