Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023


I made these Sugar Pumpkin Cookies for a bake sale for an after-school club of Bubby's.

I relied on my old Martha Stewart recipe for the cookies and my favorite royal icing recipe. I used 10 tablespoons of water which worked out great on this particular day (it does depend on the level of humidity on any given day). Lately I'd been adding 9 tablespoons then had to add extra water afterwards. I don't have any orange food coloring, so I made an orange color using red and yellow. It was a bit peachy but once piped it was OK. I used brown for the stems.  With such flowy icing, I piped the two outer sections of the pumpkin on a few cookies at a time, let them set for a few minutes, then went back and piped the middle section and the stem.  In this way the icing didn't flow together (as happened with the first few cookies I piped) and I was able to show the three distinct sections I wanted. 

In spite of the low humidity on this day these took almost 24 hours to dry, so I had to meet Bubby at school and give them to him right before the bake sale.  I packed each cookie in its own bag and tied it with a yellow ribbon. With wanting to give each cookie as much time to dry as possible, I ended up having to package them in a rush and didn't get a picture, but they looked super nice.

Later Bubby told me they were sold for $1 each. What a steal!  I tried not to be offended by that LOL.

I really enjoyed making these. Maybe they will encourage me to get back into baking.  After many years of baking as much as possible this year I just haven't been as interested. Between constantly having to bake bagels, being paranoid about sugar and having gained weight, and feeling like no one appreciates or wants my bakes, I just haven't been motivated to bake very much this year.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones