Lemon Blueberry Scones

 My friend S was back from spending the Summer in Paris, and we'd planned to get together for coffee.  I wanted to bring something and decided on Lemon Blueberry Scones because I had exactly the right amount of blueberries in the house. This was only my second time making scones!  Years ago I made chocolate chip scones and remember the dough being super unwieldy, hard to shape and not fun.  I decided to try again using this recipe from Sally's Bake Blog. It calls for grated frozen butter and although a pain, it made all the difference.  It was taking forever to grate and hurting my arm when I realized pressing down hard on the butter made it go faster.  The last bits I had to cut into small pieces with a knife, so as not to grate my finger.  The rest of the process was easy, no mixer required. I used DIY buttermilk, because I didn't have heavy cream, and it worked fine.  To cut the individual scones, I floured the bench scraper thoroughly between cuts. This was helpful.

I love cake pans, and it's been so tempting to get a scone pan.  But there's no justification for it. It's too easy to shape and cut nice looking scones using hands and a bench scraper!

Following the recipe, I let the shaped scones rest in the refrigerator for a half hour, which I think I didn't do the other time. 

I made only half the amount of glaze in the recipe and this was just enough to cover all the scones. I might make the glaze thicker next time, though, I found it to be a bit thin. But then, it might change the taste from lemony to sweeter... maybe not worth the tradeoff?  I also wonder if the glaze might not be "kicked up a notch" with the addition of a few drops of almond extract?  We'll see!

The scones were ready just in time and by now we had decided to meet at a bakery instead of at her house. We sat outdoors in a shady area, out of sight of the baker who might have been upset that I brought my own baked goods, and enjoyed them over tea and lots of laughter and, for me, the joy of having my friend back.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023