Easter Cookies 2023


This year I made several dozen Decorated Sugar Cookies, some for us to enjoy and some to send to my family and friends in the Caribbean. When I send them baked goods I always try to mail the package on a Monday, in hopes they will arrive by the following Saturday at latest, and avoid an overnight in a post office somewhere.

I made one batch of Chocolate Sugar Cookies and one batch Vanilla. I used an egg shaped cutter, a large bunny head cutter, and a bunny cutter.  I always use this royal icing recipe from Sallys Bake Blog and although I'm not the biggest fan of royal icing, I think it does have a pretty good taste and never fails to dry no matter how much water I end up adding.  I do recommend this recipe.  I made five colors: a blue, a pink, a green, a yellow, and a purple.  Pretty basic! I flooded the bunnies in pink and the eggs in blue.  My original idea was to do a floral design, inspired by this tutorial from the amazing cookie decorator Haniela. But it didn't work out because my icing was a bit too runny and I was using piping tips instead of directly cutting the tip of the bag. Even with a #1 Wilton tip, my lines were too thick.  So, I just tried different designs freehand, and although much simpler they still look nice.  

Years ago when I first started decorating cookies I used to spend a lot of time making different icing consistencies in the same color, one for outlining and detail work, one just for flooding. Over time I've developed a preference for wet-on-wet decorating with just one consistency because it saves time and effort and although not quite as "extra" the end result is still nice. I usually use a pretty wet consistency of 10 seconds or less, even.  Yes there is less control, but it's also more forgiving and as long as it dries not tacky, I call it a success!


                                              

Undecorated cookies waiting for icing.


The colors were much more charming in person!



Boho look bunnies!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023