Epiphany 2023 Dessert

We look forward to celebrating Epiphany each year because it's a low-key tradition that makes the transition from the holidays to the regular routine less brutal. There are no expectations beyond having a nice meal and writing down our wishes for the coming year. Bubby likes to look back at our wishes from the past, and he looks forward to a special dessert. In recent years January 6th has been a day off from school and we've gone to our  condo in Vermont and spent the day skiing. So with little time during the day, and an unreliable oven in the mix, it has to be a simple dessert.
This year my one requirement was to use up a container of mascarpone I'd had in the fridge for over two months. Looking through Instagram, I'd become curious to try a kind of French cake called a "fondant" or "moelleux", and I found a simple recipe for a Fondant au Mascarpone et au Citron that I put to the test:

Ingredients:
250 g mascarpone
3 eggs
1 tsp lemon extract
50 g flour
60 g sugar
150 g milk
Juice of 1 lemon

The container of mascarpone was 227 g so I adjusted the flour to 45 g, the sugar to 54 g and the milk to 135 g: 25% less of each. I figured it would be OK to leave the other amounts as is, and it was. I did break down and bought lemon extract, so much for using only what I had at hand!
 
You beat the mascarpone with the eggs, add the lemon extract, then everything else, and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. The directions didn't say what size the cake pan should be but judging from the amount of ingredients I figured a 6" round would work. I made a parchment collar to raise the sides of the pan and hold all the batter, which came up just to the rim. I baked it for an additional 10 minutes. Given the history of this oven, I baked it at a lower temperature (335 F I think) for most of the time then increased it to 350 at the end.

The verdict on this cake is... good, but also a bit bland. I'd added a pinch of salt already, but it could definitely use a bit more sugar, and also maybe more lemon extract. Plus some lemon zest, maybe even a bit of almond flour... something to heighten the flavor. The texture was interesting, halfway between a cake and a cheesecake, and a bit better the next night.  We enjoyed it with blueberries, and the size was perfect for our tiny family. 

I'd definitely try another "fondant"... but I'd find another recipe. 😉𝨝




I bet they would have liked some!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023