Sour Cream Coffee Cake Cubes & Lemon Poppyseed Bread


Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Swirl

Last week I made my Lemon Poppyseed Bread to bring to a watercolor painting meetup.  I've made the recipe before and it's tried and true and I knew everyone would enjoy it. My bread received a lot of compliments and as an added bonus the woman who was hosting us loves lemon desserts and had been wishing to have a lemon birthday cake and felt this was kind of a wish come true. It made me very happy to hear that!  Here is a picture of a slice:

Lemon Poppyseed Bread


Now I had a lot of sour cream left over and the group's next meeting was at my house.  I thought of a Sour Cream Coffee cake. My mother used to make such a delicious one when I was growing up, one with so much cinnamon and walnuts that you literally couldn't stop eating.  I wish I had that recipe! But I don't, so I decided to try this one from Sally's Bake Blog.

It came together easily. I baked it in my 8x8 Pyrex and maybe because it's corning ware instead of aluminum it took a bit longer in the oven before a toothpick came out clean: 41 minutes instead of 32-38. In the past with Sally's recipes I've noticed glazes and drizzle-icing recipes yield too much. But in this instance, you really do want to use up all the icing, and you need it to "finish" off the cake.  

Sour Cream Coffee Cake cubes

This recipe is good enough without having that "wow" factor.  I would certainly make more cinnamon swirl, because the stripe in the middle really is a bit skimpy, and I'd add more salt to the cake.

It was such a pleasure to set up a coffee and baked goods table in the sunroom, and to see these new friends there!  In addition to my coffee cake there was another coffee cake, a Passover honey cake, jam-filled beignets and brownies that the other ladies brought.  My vanilla bean macaron tea was also a hit!

Our goodies table

We were gifted with a beautiful sunny day with super pleasant temperatures, and with our apple tree in bloom right next to the sunroom we got to see lots of orioles and an indigo bunting while we painted, and we got to enjoy their birdsong. 

Painting set-up

In the two hours we had, and with being busy hosting, I just had time to paint a small penguin. But I love how he came out, a perfect reminder of a really sweet morning. What more could you ask for?

Sweet watercolor penguin

The next day, I sent the remaining coffee cake cubes to Bubby's teachers as an impromptu thank you. He's had such a good school year and they care very much about him.  We're very grateful for them!

Boxed treats







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023