Bakewell Tart

It was a beautiful Springlike Sunday and a friend was coming to hike in the woods then return to our house to visit.  It was a perfect day to make a Bakewell Tart!

I used this recipe from King Arthur Baking.  I've made a Bakewell tart before, but I don't think I used their recipe for the crust.  There definitely wasn't enough liquid for the crust to come together with only 2 tbsp of water, and I ended up using 4 tbsp. It was also different to not chill the dough before. It's a shortcrust dough with egg, but still, it took a lot of handling to get it to be cohesive. After it parbaked and cooled, I could see the metal from the pan through the crust, and I thought for sure the sugar from the jam would cause it to stick and it would be difficult to cut.  But there was no problem, in fact it slid out easily from the removable tart pan bottom. 

The other thing I would change is that I would add more jam. Everyone liked the tart, but for me there wasn't enough of a raspberry flavor to contrast with the frangipane.

I've made Bakewell tart before, but the other time I put a thick decorative icing on it, and I'd found it to be far too sweet.  I prefer this version with the sliced almonds better! 

Unfortunately, before serving I forgot to sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar, but since no one knew I'd planned to do that, no one was disappointed.

I was delighted when my guest requested a second slice! She was happy to take some home, too, which made me happy in turn.  My little family liked it very much, as well.

The Bakewell Tart rounded off a very nice Sunday!



 Bakewell Tart

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023