Marranitos

Bubby's friend was coming over to hang out an a rainy Saturday and I know those boys always like to have a snack.  I only had a couple of hours to make something so I couldn't chill cookie dough.  But I knew I had an opened jar of molasses. Bingo! Time to make Marranitos

I just love these Mexican cookie/breads.  Are they breads?  That's what they're called in recipes, but they're actually more like cookies.  You do roll out the dough, cut them with a cutter and bake them for 10 minutes. It's a cookie! A soft, dense, gingery cinnamony comforting and delicious cookie. Traditionally they're shaped like pigs but you could use any cutter, though I'm glad I invested in this cookie cutter because it just makes them extra. After all, "marranitos" is Spanish for little piggies!

Aside from not needing to chill the dough the good thing about marranitos is that you can't mess them up.  Today I didn't have any dark brown sugar so I used light instead. My marranitos may not be the traditional dark color, but they were just as good as ever. 

I use this recipe from Isabel Eats' website.

Somehow I always end up making these in January, one of the first bakes of the year. They're just the right thing to transition out of the holidays.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creepy Crawly Spiderweb Cake

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Sugar Pumpkin Cookies Fall 2023